This week my search for simple summer suppers led me towards the joy of a Chicken Kebab. Whilst for many this may be synonymous with the late night/ early morning sobering up meal, for me the Chicken Kebab is summer on a plate – it’s like having a barbecue without having to have the weather or outside space for a barbecue. The crispy chicken, the rich and flavoursome sauces: a match made in tastebud heaven.
There are so many ways to serve a kebab and so many recipes to follow for sauces but I decided that as the brief was quick, delicious and simple that I would stick to the basics.
So here is my Chicken Kebab and Three Veg Salsa with a fresh Chimichurri sauce.
2 cloves garlic
Large handful of fresh parsley
1 red chilli deseeded and pithed ( unless you like it hot)
1tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 tin of sweetcorn, or 2 corn on the cobs cooked and decobbed
A handful of edamame beans
- Firstly leave your kebab sticks to soak in water for about 30mins before you make the dish ( not 100% essential but it will stop the wood from burning)
- Cut you chicken into cubes, push onto kebab sticks and place on hot griddle pan to cook, turning occasionally until golden on the outside
- For the Sauce, place all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blitz until combined
- For Salsa, heat a small pan of boiling water, place uncooked edamame beans in and cook for 5 mins, remove from heat and drain. Then de-pod the edamame beans ( just as a note you could use broad beans, peas or any green veg you fancy here, I am just a little obsessed with edamame at the moment)
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and mix with Edamame and Sweetcorn
- Then assemble your salsa, added your chicken kebab skewers and finish off with some flavoursome and refreshing sauce
The perfect mid week supper; a simple dish that makes you feel like you could be having a late evening barbecue and looks like a rainbow ( well almost – let’s just hope there’s a pot of gold lurking somewhere). What more could you want (other than the gold, obviously)?!